- According to PriceDevils.com, the average costs of carrying out a complete rewire to a 3 bed 1930’s terrace house is £2,750 - £3,500.
- Rewiring your house would have to be done by a trained, qualified electrician, who would then issue a certificate to the householder, and notify Building Control - they record the work and issue a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate.
- When you constantly face problems with blowing fuses or tripping RCDs show that there is something wrong with the wiring. To avoid any trouble with electricity you best decision would be to make a rewiring.
- It is recommended to make inspection of the wiring every 5 years just to avoid any unexpected and unpleasant situations.
How Much Money Does Rewiring Require?
Rewiring is a process of partial or complete replacement of the wiring in your house or flat. It may be required due to bad condition of the wiring or some force majeure circumstances. Problems with the wiring may cause fire or damage electrical appliances. That is why is strongly recommended to check the wiring every 3—5 years and make necessary replacements on time.
Of course rewiring will cost particular sum of money and the question is: How much should I pay for complete property rewiring in London?
First of all the price depends on the size of your property. Rewiring a 3 bed house will cost you around £1500. If there are 5 bedrooms the price will increase to £3500 while 2 bedroom house rewiring will cost you approximately £1200. If you have one-bedroom flat you will pay less as rewiring a flat costs not more that £1000.
If you want exactly how much money you will pay for the complete or partial rewiring it is better to contact one of the electrical companies and ask them to make necessary calculations. They will send the specialist to inspect the wiring of your house and evaluate the amount of work that should be done.
Price on rewiring depends on many factors. As mentioned above it will depend on number of rooms you have. Rewiring price will also depend on the location of your house. For example rewiring house in the countryside will cost less than rewiring a house in centre London. The difference in price can be explained by more complicated electrical network structure in the city rather that in the countryside.
The rewiring price will also depend on the number of sockets and light fixtures you have or you prefer to set up. More extra sockets you need more money you will have to pay. However all these small extras can’t change the price dramatically and the price range will be always more or less the same.
You can see the average prices for house rewiring below which we collected from our colleagues all over the UK. The same job might cost more or less depending on contractor even in the same area because of tight competition in a difficult economical climate nowadays.
- Birmingham. 4 bedroom house completely rewired - £4500 including materials.
- Preparation, chasing the walls, ripping out the old wiring - 1 week;
- 1st fix and routing the cables – 1 week;
- 2nd fix and certification – 1 week.
- South Wales. 3 bedroom occupied house completely rewired - £2500 including materials.
- South West of England (Cornwall and Devon). Some companies are charging £30 per point for basic white socket finish and £50 for metal finish. The average cost of 3 bedroom house rewiring is £3000 - £4000.
- East Sussex. 2 bedroom bungalow rewiring - £1000 for labour only, took 5 days to complete.
- North London, Hampstead. New build kitchen extension - £1800 for labour. The job consist of:
- 22 low-voltage downlighters, 14 double sockets, 8 light switches;
- Floor light master switch, Smoke and heat detectors;
- 2 outdoor lights and heaters;
- New consumer units;
- North London, Camden. 2 bedroom flat rewiring - £3250 for labour plus materials.
- Woodford Green, Essex. 3 bedroom semi plus garage completely rewired - £2800 for labour only.
- South London, Streatham. New build block consists of 2 bedroom flats - £1300 for labour only. Based on:
- 14 double sockets, 7 lights and switches;
- 3 TV and BT outlets, 2 smoke/heat detectors;
- North London. 4 bedroom occupied house was fully rewired. Quoted for £4800 including materials, but offered £500 off if the clients moved out, that has been accepted.
- Sheffield. 3 bedroom semi-detached house re-wired - £2500 including materials.
- Nottingham. Full Rewire 3 bedroom house - £2650 including materials and basic white accessories.
- Doncaster. 3 bedroom bungalow re-wired – £2100 including all materials.
- North London. Full rewire of a 3 bedroom flat above the shop - £3900
- Liverpool. You can expect to get your house rewired between £2000 and £4000 for an average 3 bed semi.
- Cheshire. Socket rewiring (didn't need lighting rewiring) in a 1950's 3 bed semi - £1500.
- North London, Finchley. 3 bedroom detached house fully rewired - £2880 incl VAT:
- 20 x Double Sockets, 2 x Smoke Detectors, 1 x Heat Detectors, 6 x Pendant Lights, 1 x Bath Light;
- New Fusebox 17th Edition, Water & Gas Bonding, NICEIC Certificate;
- Basic white plastic accessories;
© 2012 All rights reserved.